Saturday, 31 March 2012

Baby Quilts for the Hospital

This past week I finished off a couple of little flannel blankets, as part of a project which the women at church have been doing - to make new quilts for the Intensive Care unit for premature babies at the local hospital. We made about 40 altogether, I think. One of the women donated all the fabric from her extensive collection (!), and I made the zig-zag one, another friend pieced up the chequered one, and I finished them off. 
 We had to bind them by folding over the backing fabric. I haven't done that kind of binding before, but it turned out OK, and I got to use my nice scalloped stitch to secure it.
All soft and ready to go.

Saturday, 24 March 2012

A couple of bits

Nice and simple birthday cards for twins who's party one of my sons went to today. The alphabet letter stickers on the little tags are microscopic!! Didn't realise quite how small they were when I was ordering them!
I am swamped with tonnes of beautiful fabric at the moment. I bought several packages from America (don't ask me about the £40 customs fees...) and I am happily chopping it into little pre-cut patchwork squares packs, and also making die-cut appliques. I took delivery of a 25 metre roll of fusible webbing today, so that should keep me going for a while! I have been selling them.
 Some of the applique packs I made up today. (And my new Cath Kidston jug - took a nice little trip to their factory outlet shop yesterday!)
I was quite excited to see a couple of Youtube tutorials recently, on cutting out iron-on fabric shapes with a Cricut machine. You have to iron on the fusible webbing first, then some people lay it onto the cutting mat, fabric side down (though I think you would get through a lot if mats this way - they would lose their stick pretty quickly), and other people spray starch on the fabric, iron it, then it is OK to cut it fabric side up. I'm dying to try it out, but as luck would have it, my Cricut machine died last week! I managed to get a new machine today on ebay though, for £50, so I'll have the chance to experiment soon enough!

Sunday, 18 March 2012

Mothers' Day Hydrangea Cupcakes

I made these hydrangea cupcakes for my Mum for Mother's Day - my family had a get-together today - 19.5 of us - great fun!
After the cakes were cooked, I scooped out some of the cake and filled it with jam, then piped on the flowers. I made up some icing, from butter, icing sugar, melted white chocolate and a little double cream. I split the mixture, colouring half in lilac, and half in the turquiose (it was meant to be blue, but the yellow of the butter changed it to a kind of toothpaste colour! I know that I could use shortening to keep the base icing white, but I really prefer the flavour of butter too much.) The two colours then got put in the same piping bag, and I hoped for the best! I quite like how they turned out.

Wednesday, 14 March 2012

More Pink Cupcakes and a New Stand

Tom had a friend over last night, and they asked if they could decorate cupcakes, so I made up a batch, and we all decorated some. I wanted to get pictures of the kids' ones (which ranged from pure black with orange stars, a French flag, a Scottish flag and some big fat fondant icing boulders) - only the kids took great delight in shoving them in their mouths before I could get my camera.
Here are mine anyway. I got to try out my new lattice embosser, and silicone brooch mould (both bought on ebay). I put on soft decorative balls, because I can't stand eating hard crunchy ones, especially when there are lots on each cupcake.
 These are my favourite! I love making the little rosebuds - using a star cutter for the little leaves.

 This is my new cake stand (also bought on ebay). I like that you can use as many layers as you need, it packs away flat, and you can fit between 25 and 52 cupcakes on it, and also see through each layer to the cupcakes below.

Monday, 5 March 2012

Red Velvet Cupcakes

I thought I should try and expand my cake repertoire, so had a go at some Red Velvet cupcakes today. (I had this idea about 40 minutes before I had to do the school run, so they were somewhat hurried...)
I used a pretty standard recipe, similar to that in the Hummingbird Bakery book, and they were a lovely light texture, but I don't think the flavour is anything to shout about - I still prefer basic Victoria Sponge cupcakes, or chocolate ones. I topped them with a (very runny!) cream cheese frosting.

Saturday, 3 March 2012

'Happy Temple Mission' Card

My Mum and Dad started their Temple Mission this week! They've been settling into a flat near the Preston Temple, where they will be staying 2 weeks out of every 8. Funnily enough, there aren't many 'Happy Temple Mission' cards in the local card shop, so I made my own! 
This is based on the colours over at the Daring Cardmakers this week. I like that the challenge asked for 'a touch of gold'! My touch of gold is the Angel Moroni on the spire of the temple. (In case anyone is curious about our religion, you can click the link to the right...)