Wednesday 11 September 2013

Eileen Hull's 3D Birdhouse - Halloween Design

While I had all my Halloween craft stuff out, I had a go at making an Eileen Hull's 3D Birdhouse into a mini Halloween-style house.
I cut the house base from Tim Holtz paper, and inked up all the edges. Before assembling the house, I cut little windows in it, using the Sizzix Base Tray, and a couple of dies from The Movers and Shapers 'Mini Openings' set.
I added some sections of Tim Holtz's new Cobwebs die, a circle punched moon, cloud from Papertrey Ink, and Movers and Shapers Bats.
I stuck vellum inside the windows, and put a battery tea-light inside the house (you can kind of see the glow in the top window!)
 The swirls on the side were cut with My Favourite Things 'Fancy Flourish' die.
 I also added some black Tim Holtz Distress Ink, in splodges to the roof and sides.
 For the house front, I hand cut some little hinges and a door, which I used a Stampin' Up woodgrain stamp on. The little key plate is a brad. I drew some little stones for the window sill.
A note on my adhesives. I used the ATG (pink glue tape gun) for the flaps on the house - really strong. For the bits I need to have dry quickly, and by just a small edge (like the bat and moon onto the edge of the roof, and cobweb under the eaves), I used Beacons 3-in-1 glue. It's very sticky, grabs instantly, and dies very quickly. It also holds heavy items well.
For detailed gluing, I use glue pens such as Martha Stewart's Fine Tipped Glue Pen or those by Zig.
Finally, I used little square adhesive foam pads for the door.
These four kinds of adhesive are my absolute staples which I use on virtually every project I do.

Some of products:


   



5 comments:

  1. Oh Helen- the embellishments and fun touches you added are so great- especially the splotches, cobwebs, cool brad keyhole and fun woodgrain door. Good tips on adhesives too- the right tool for the job is so important! Love it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you have used the cobweb die on Eileen's birdhouse - this is a wonderful Halloween creation Helen. Hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delightful! Love all the details, especially the splotches. Thank you for the adhesive tips.
    Marlene L

    ReplyDelete
  4. TOTALLY fun - I love the spider webs you added, and the bat, cloud & moon at the back.
    Cheers, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great house, love the spider web, flourish/swirl looks like a spooky tree, bat & moon.

    ReplyDelete