Friday 5 July 2013

Tanya Whelan Butterfly Accordion Album Birthday Card

 A friend of mine asked me to make a butterfly themed birthday card for her Sister-in-Law.
I know she is keen on the Cath Kidston/Tanya Whelan type patterns, so I went for a summer garden type feel to the card with an assortment of Tanya Whelan papers from my First Edition's 'Floral Pavilion' pad.
Thought I would photograph it in the garden for a change, seeing as there are lots of little 'windows' to see through, in the card.
I used Karen Burniston's Accordion Album die, and the 'Frame and Label, Bracket' die, PLUS her super-duper gorgeous new Movers and Shapers Butterflies dies. I love how one of them cuts out a beautiful little butterfly wherever you want it, and the other cuts out an oval shape with the butterfly inside, again wherever you want! (This fits inside the centre of the 'Fancy Frame' die cuts really well!) 
I used the Movers and Shapers Base Tray to run my nearly completed card through on, to add the butterfly cuts, with no damage to the rest of the card.
I rounded off the corners of the outer frames with a Zutter cutter (great for thick card board and chipboard etc.), and stamped a Tim Holtz  'Happy birthday' in another of the Fancy Frames. (I had to trim the edges of some of the Fancy Frames, so that they would close up properly when the card shuts.)
 I loved the shadow, in this photo!
And most impressively for me, I actually made a card which can fold down totally flat, and can easily fit inside an envelope!

Products used:


   

9 comments:

  1. Wow that card is so pretty, I love the butterfly cut outs - so genius.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Helen! Of course I remember you! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello! I hope you're doing well. I don't blog hop anymore, so that's why you haven't heard from me. I usually just do my own thing and hang out on a couple of message boards. Anyway, WOW on this card! The photograph with the shadow is spectacular! You're as crafty and talented at ever! Take care and keep crafting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such an inspiration with your accordian die cards Helen, I love this one, it is absolutely gorgeous. Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing, Helen! I love this card so, so much! I wish I could claim to have made the butterfly to fit in the Fancy Frame on purpose, but that was just a happy accident that you discovered. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elegant, pretty, very creative. Chris xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! The combination of dies is genious! KY Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi:
    love this card and by chance have all the dies, but i have no idea how to do the cut-outs. can somebody, please, help me?
    thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gladys,
      I just replied to your email, but will repeat it here, in case anyone else wants to know too...
      I think you will be able to see from the pictures on my blog the order in which to stick down the paper layers, onto the panels, using the 'Frame and label, Bracket' die first, then the two layers of the 'Fancy Frame' die. At this point I would still have the tabs which join up the panels NOT stuck together. I then placed my card face-up in the bottom of the Base Tray, and put the Movers and Shapers Butterfly die (with blades down), on top of the card where I wanted the butterflies cut out. I put the cutting mat on top of that and ran it through the Big Shot. This means that the blades of the Movers and Shapers dies are actually cutting against the metal base of the Base Tray. I probably wouldn't use this technique a lot, as I don't know if it will eventually blunt the blades, but I have seen some of the Sizzix designers do it from time to time. I had to trim around the sides of the oval windows a bit with scissors, to get them to fit perfectly inside the 'Fancy Frame' oval, but they are quite a good match.
      Hope that helps!
      Helen x

      Delete
  8. WOW, was just browsing for some inspiration for accordian cards and have founds heaps on here! Beautiful, beautiful selection.

    ReplyDelete